Step by Step D-Link Wireless network Setup Easy installation
Set Up a D-Link Wireless Router
- 1Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into the DSL modem.
- 2Then plug the other end into the "WAN" port on the back of the D-Link wireless router.
- 3Connect wired computers to any of the other Ethernet ports on the router using another Ethernet cable.
Access the D-Link Configuration Screen
- 1Open your web interface and type
"http://192.168.0.1"into the address bar, then hit "Enter" or "Return."
- 2Use "Admin" as the username and leave the password blank when the login screen appears.
- 3Click "OK." You should now see the D-Link configuration screen.
Set Up General Security
- 1Change your administrative password by clicking on the "Tools" tab and choosing the "Admin" button. Enter a new password under the "Administrator" heading. Confirm it, and click "Apply."
- 2Disable the wireless Local Area Network (LAN) if you don't need to use the wireless access and you want to make sure no one else is able to access your network.
- 3Under the "Home" tab, choose "Wireless" and select the "Off" option.
Enable Wireless Encryption Protocol (WEP)
- 1Locate the "Home" tab in the D-Link Configuration screen, and click on the "Wireless" button.
- 2Use the "Open System" button beside "Authentication."
- 3Select the "Enabled" button next to "WEP," and set the encryption key to "128 bit."
- 4Set the "Key Type" to "ASCII" and choose a 13-digit password for the "Key 1" field.
- 5Write down the password in a secure location.
- 6Click "Apply."
Change the SSID
- 1Change the SSID to make it more difficult for others to locate and use your network by clicking on the "Home" tab and locating the "Wireless" button.
- 2Change the default SSID to one of your choosing, then click "Apply."
- 3Disable SSID broadcasting. Under the "Advanced" tab, click on "Performance" and check off the "Disabled" box. Again, click "Apply."
Filter MAC Addresses
- 1Click the "Advanced" tab in the D-Link "Configuration" screen and select the "Filters" button.
- 2Choose the "MAC Filters" and click on "Only Allow Computers with MAC Address Listed Below to Connect to the Network."
- 3Enter the name and MAC address of the computers allowed to access the network, beginning with the one you are currently configuring. Click "Apply."